Holiday Travel Tips
Holiday travel tips from the Comox Valley Airport (YQQ)
The winter holiday season is a busy time of year at Comox Valley Airport.
Planning ahead will reduce stress and make your journey safer, and more enjoyable.
- As of November 30th, all travellers aged 12 and above must be fully vaccinated. A federally recognized vaccine passport is required, and you may be required to show it at several points prior to boarding.
- Travel documents and valid (not expired) government issued photo ID must exactly match the name on the ticket. Contact your airline to have your ticket re-issued in your legal name if there is any discrepancy.
- Bring you mask! Face coverings are required in the air terminal building, and on-board aircraft
- Check with the Government of Canada's Travel site, for current advisories and directives.
- If you are travelling internationally, sign up for the ArriveCan app, online or download to your phone. ArriveCan. Forms found on this app are mandatory for entry into Canada.
- Come early - It's always wise to give yourself enough time! Arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes before your flight, even earlier if you are travelling with oversized baggage or pets (and be sure to book your pet in advance!) Many carrier's limit travel in the cargo hold over the holidays.
- Airlines websites have information and options for flight changes, arrival times, testing requirements and pre-flight testing. Check your carrier's site prior to departure (and return) for current information. Links to our carrier's sites are available on our webpage at YQQ Airlines.
- At this time of year, there may be strict baggage limitations - verify with our airline that your luggage is within the weight and size restriction; baggage fees may be applicable and charged at check in. Always make sure medications, ID and other vital items are in your purse or carryon.
- Ground transportation should be booked well in advance. Follow this link, for ground transportation options from YQQ.
- Confirm your reservation and double check your flight time before heading to the airport. Make sure to review the baggage rules and restrictions before you arrive at the check in counter, and have ID and Vaccine Passport or phone (if info is stored there) handy to reduce delays at the counters.
- Use online check in, print your boarding pass before you leave for the airport or have it emailed or texted to your handheld mobile device. Passengers with boarding passes can head straight to security if they do not have checked bags.
- Ho Ho Hold the liquids, gels and aerosols - Restrictions apply for carry-on baggage! A complete list of items not permitted in carry-on baggage may be found online at Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA).
- Make sure any items with lithium batteries are in your carry-on - that includes e-cigarettes, vapes, cel phones, laptops, and tablets. If in doubt, check with your airline before you pack.
- Traveling with cannabis? Know the limits, and risks - even domestic flights can be diverted to US airports, where possession may be illegal. For more information visit the Canadian Air Transportation Security Authority - CATSA.
- Avoid travelling with wrapped presents - There is potential for search of carry-on, and in checked baggage. Packing flat gift bags to fill upon arrival might be an option.
- Winter weather here or in other parts of the country may cause delays - All of the airlines serving YQQ have online "flight status" for up to date flight times.
- Forgot someone on your holiday giving list? Mid Island Gifts at YQQ has a great selection, including gift bags and Island Good products from local suppliers.
- Visit YQQ Ready, to learn about our health and safety directives, and updated travel information.
Season's Greetings from all of us at the Comox Valley Airport. The holidays are always a busy time for air travel. By arriving early and being prepared, you can help make your holiday travel hassle free.